Skip to main content
OCC Flag

An official website of the United States government

Equal Employment Opportunity Complaint Process

The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) is an equal opportunity employer. If you are an employee or applicant for employment and believe that you have been discriminated against, you may have the right to file a complaint of discrimination with the Department of the Treasury.

Federal EEO laws prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation or gender identity), age (40 years and older), disability (physical or mental), and protected genetic information, as well as, retaliation for engaging in protected EEO activities. Discrimination based on parental status is prohibited by Executive Order, not by federal EEO law. Allegations of discrimination based on parental status may be pursued under the OCC's and Treasury's administrative complaint procedures, however there are no further appeal rights beyond a decision by the Department.

The EEO pre-complaint process is a prerequisite to filing a formal EEO complaint. Pre-complaints are processed by the OCC's EEO Complaints Team. Formal complaints are processed by the Department of the Treasury's Office of Civil Rights and Diversity (OCRD).

You are not required to file something in writing to participate in the pre-complaint process, but you must clearly communicate your intention to participate in the EEO process. The “date of contact” is recorded as the date you clearly communicated to an EEO official your intention to participate in the EEO process. You must initiate the EEO pre-complaint process by contacting the OCC's EEO office within 45 calendar days of the alleged discriminatory event.

To start the EEO pre-complaint process, simply contact the OCC's EEO Officer at (202) 649-6893 or the central number for the EEO Complaints Team at (202) 649-5589. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability, please dial 7-1-1 to access telecommunications relay services. You may also contact the EEO Officer via email at The EEO Officer will assign a case number and an EEO Counselor to your EEO pre-complaint.