Community Affairs supports the OCC's mission to ensure a vibrant banking system by helping national banks and federal savings associations to be leaders in providing safe and sound community development financing and making financial services accessible to underserved communities and consumers, while treating their customers fairly.
- administering the national bank public welfare investment authority (12 CFR 24) and the comparable authority for federal savings associations.
- providing community development training and technical assistance to OCC examiners and supervised banks, community organizations and leaders, and other stakeholders.
- offering customized consultations to help banks identify community development finance opportunities and resources.
- facilitating communication among lenders, community groups, and government officials through workshops and conferences.
- publishing community development information on best practices and investment opportunities.
- compiling Resource Directories on a range of community development topics.
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)'s Financial Literacy Update is a bimonthly e-newsletter that reports financial literacy events, new initiatives, and related resources of the OCC and other government agencies and organizations.
Community Developments Insights: Historic Tax Credits: Bringing New Life to Older Communities (October 2019)
This Community Developments Insights report describes how this tax credit program operates, outlines the risks and regulatory considerations of participation in the program, and discusses how investments in these tax credit transactions by banks may be considered under the Community Reinvestment Act.
This Community Developments Fact Sheet summarizes certain aspects of the historic tax credits (HTC) program for national banks and federal savings associations (collectively, banks) and explains how HTCs may be used to support a bank's affordable housing and community development strategies.
Related News and Issuances
|03/06/2020||NR 2020-29||Comptroller of the Currency Tours Memphis to Discuss Community Reinvestment|
|12/31/2019||OCC 2019-66||Community Reinvestment Act Regulations: Revision of Small and Intermediate Small Bank and Savings Association Asset Thresholds|
|10/04/2019||NR 2019-115||Comptroller of the Currency Discusses Community Reinvestment, Honored for his Community Service|