Community Reinvestment Act (CRA)
The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 (CRA) provides a framework for financial institutions, state and local governments, and community organizations to jointly promote banking services to all members of a community.
In a nutshell, the CRA
- Prohibits redlining (denying or increasing the cost of banking to residents of racially defined neighborhoods), and
- Encourages efforts to meet the credit needs of all community members, including residents of low- and moderate-income neighborhoods.
For more information, see:
- Questions and Answers about CRA Exams, Procedures, and OCC's Responsibilities
- Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC)
Search national bank CRA ratings and performance evaluations and get lists of banks examined for CRA compliance.
Note: CRA ratings and performance evaluations published by the former Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS) prior to July 21, 2011 are also available in the CRA Performance Evaluations search application.
CRA Ratings and Performance Evaluations by Month and Year
Handbooks, Procedures, and Guidance
- OCC Comptroller's Handbook, CRA Examination Procedures
- CRA Examination Procedures for Small Institutions (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Intermediate Small Banks (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Large Banks (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Limited Purpose and Wholesale Institutions (PDF)
- CRA Examination Procedures for Institutions with Strategic Plans (PDF)
Get a list of banks scheduled for CRA examination in the next quarter.
Get a list of national banks operating under approved CRA strategic plans and a reference to the authorizing regulation.
Get a list of banks designated as wholesale or limited purpose, definitions for these terms, and a reference to the authorizing regulation.
Get help interpreting the meaning and requirements of CRA from the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council.
Learn how to submit or check on a FOIA request to the OCC and search documents.
Get resources for information on national banks, savings and loans, state-chartered banks, bank holding companies, credit unions.
Related News and Issuances
|09/10/2019||NR 2019-105||Comptroller of the Currency Discusses Community Reinvestment Act, Honored for his Philanthropy|
|09/09/2019||NR 2019-104||Comptroller of the Currency Visits Compton, California, to Discuss How to Increase Community Reinvestment|
|09/06/2019||NR 2019-102||OCC Releases CRA Evaluations for 26 National Banks and Federal Savings Associations|