OCC Bulletin 2016-29| September 28, 2016
Charters: Revised Comptroller’s Licensing Manual Booklet
Chief Executive Officers of all National Banks, Federal Savings Associations, and Federal Branches and Agencies; Department and Division Heads; All Examining Personnel; and Other Interested Parties
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) issued today the “Charters” booklet of the Comptroller’s Licensing Manual. This revised booklet replaces the booklet of the same title issued in February 2009. The revised booklet incorporates updated chartering procedures and requirements following the integration of the Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS) into the OCC in 2011 and the issuance of revised regulations (12 CFR 5) that became effective July 1, 2015, addressing chartering of both national banks and federal savings associations.
Note for Community Banks
The principles contained in this guidance apply to all national banks and federal savings associations.
The revised “Charters” booklet
- provides an overview of policy considerations and evaluative factors that the OCC considers when reviewing applications to charter new national banks and federal savings associations.
- provides organizers of de novo banks with guidance on informational requirements of the charter application and associated actions organizers should consider when preparing the application.
- outlines requirements and procedures that organizers should follow when completing the process to organize a new bank and commence the business of banking, including completing related filings and applications, raising capital, and hiring bank management.
- lists references and links to informational resources and sample forms and documents organizers may find useful during the application and organization process.
- incorporates revised regulatory requirements for chartering new banks following the OCC/OTS integration and distinguishes where requirements may differ for national banks and federal savings associations.
Please contact Karen Marcotte, Manager for Licensing Activities, at (202) 649-6260.
Stephen A. Lybarger
Deputy Comptroller for Licensing
- "Charters" (PDF)